On Thursday, June 2, 2022, the Department of English held the international workshop entitled “Methods of Translation.” The first session of the workshop was presented by Asst. Prof. Dr. May Al-Shaikhali, at the beginning of the workshop she introduced the practical methods of translation and the different ways of translating a text based on its type. The second session was presented by Prof. Dr. Misbah Al- Sulaimaan who started by a very comprehensive definition of the notion of translation. The definition is as follows: “translation is an operation that can be performed on one language, two languages or more than two languages, whereby the elements of the “ Source Language Text” can be replaced by the elements of Target Language Text”. These elements can be lexical, syntactic, semantic, pragmatic, stylistic or cultural. This means that an effective translation can be based on lexicology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, stylistics, anthropology and ethnology as well as a contrastive study.
A would-be translator and interpreter must be encyclopedic, bi-lingual as well as bi-cultural. Thus, a translator must be in full control of a contrastive study and text analysis of the languages involved.
1. Prof. Dr. Misbah Mahmood Dawood Al-Sulaimaan, graduate of Mosul University as BA, College of Education/Department of Languages/English Branch. As MA and Ph. D College of Arts/Department of English. He was promoted to professorship on 30/August/2010. He published more than 40 papers in local & international journals. He also supervised 67 MA Theses PhD dissertations. He is well known for his three published books:
- Semantics & Pragmatics (2016)
- Translation: Theory & Practice. ‘(2016)
- General English: a Course Book for University Students. (2020)
2. Asst. Prof. Dr. May Fadhil Abdul-Qadir Al.Shaikhali, graduate of Mustansiriya University as BA, College of Arts/Translation Department. As MA in the same university, and Ph.D College of Arts/Translation Department, major field translation. She published a very good number of papers in local & international journals. Currently, she is assistant professor in Amman Arab University, in College of Arts and science, translation department.
Reference: (Official Decree no. ED&L 190 on February 29 2022).