On Thursday, February 24th, 2022, the Department of English Language held the national workshop entitled “Approaches to Translations” The first session of the workshop was presented by the Asst. Lect. “Meram Salim Shekh Mohamad” who is a faculty member in the department of English. She familiarized the attendance by the basic notions of translation as well as the basic definition. Then, the second session was done by Prof. Dr. Misbah Al- Sulaimaan who started by a very comprehensive definition of the notion of translation. The definition is as follows: “translation is an operation that can be performed on one language, two languages or more than two languages, whereby the elements of the “ Source Language Text” can be replaced by the elements of Target Language Text”. These elements can be lexical, syntactic, semantic, pragmatic, stylistic or cultural. This means that an effective translation can be based on lexicology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, stylistics, anthropology and ethnology as well as a contrastive study.
A would-be translator and interpreter must be encyclopedic, at least bi-lingual as well as bi-cultural. Thus, a translator must be in full control of a contrastive study and text analysis of the languages involved.
1. Prof. Dr. Misbah Mahmood Dawood Al-Sulaimaan, graduate of Mosul University as BA, College of Education/Department of Languages/English Branch. As MA and Ph. D College of Arts/Department of English. He was promoted to professorship on 30/August/2010. He published more than 40 papers in local & international journals. He also supervised 67 MA Theses PhD dissertations. He is well known for his three published books:
1. Semantics & Pragmatics (2016)
2. Translation: Theory & Practice. ‘(2016)
3. General English: a Course Book for University Students. (2020)
2. Asst. Lect. Meram Salim Shekh Mohamad holds M.A. in English Literature at Soran University. Currently asst. Lecturer at Department of English Language, College of Education and Languages/ Lebanese French University.
Reference: (Official decree no. ED&L 124 on 24 January 2022).